Social Media

NAV

09 April 2012

Book Review: Purity by Jackson Pearce


PurityPurityby Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little Brown
Pages:
Hardcover, 224
Young Adult
Date Published:
April 24 2012
Source:Publisher
|Twitter|

A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.

Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity

REVIEW:

     Purity.Purity. Purity. When I first read the synopsis for it I thought it would have been too girly for me but after reading the first 3 chapters I was hooked. Purity is a book which will make you feel good on the inside while also offering a comical story. Jackson Pearce's writing provided both interesting writing and a compelling plot.
     First Im going to talk about some of the characters present in Purity. The main character is Shelby who obviously must lose her viriginity because of promises she made at her mother's death. Also she must start to live life on the edge because of the promises she made. I found her character very interesting because of her determination she made to following the rules of her dead mother. The other two "main" characters are her two best friends Jonas and Ruby. Jonas is the best friend you've had since you were young type who is always there to protect you no matter what happens. Ruby is the kind of friend everyone wants to have. She is always there to mastermind a new plan and always provides a laugh for Shelby.
     This wasn't my first time with Jackson Pearce's writing. I didn't know what to expect coming from her paranormal writing style to her contemporary. But once I started I was even more pleased by the writing in Purity. She provides such good characterization for her characters and her description is amazing. There was never really a dry moment that occurred. I was always wondering what was going to happen next or who was going to do what. It was a real page turner because of all the exciting things it offers.
     If you want a story that will keep you laughing and also provides a great story you should definitely check it out. I really enjoyed it and this is coming from a guy who thought it would be too girly in the beginning. But I was proved wrong and I was given a great story. Go and pick up Purity right now! I mean right in this very moment.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to read your praising thoughts, Trick. I can't wait to read the book myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it, despite the fact that you initially thought it was too girly. :P Jackson Pearce is an awesome writer, so I'm glad she did not disappoint. Shelby, Jonas, and Ruby all sound like fun characters, and the concept is certainly very interesting. I love funny books so I'll be sure to check this one out when it releases! Fantastic review, Patrick! :)

    ReplyDelete